Thursday, March 3, 2016

"You Look Disgusting"

Several months ago, Em Ford began posting images of herself without makeup on social media. She called it "You Look Disgusting." The following film contains real comments that were left on images of her face.

She then applied makeup, covering her flaws. The comments that followed were mixed, but no less disturbing.

Her message: 
"You are beautiful - no matter how flawed you feel, no matter how upset you may be about the way you look or how hard you find it to make friends, or be confident. Believe in yourself, and never let anyone tell you're not beautiful - not even yourself" 

Her video brought tears to my eyes. I have often been my own worst critic-never tall enough, never thin enough, not blonde enough, too blonde, my hair was too short, too long, too wavy, my face is too blotchy, too dry...
These thoughts allowed me to be more vulnerable to criticism of others, when I was much younger.

I'm much older now, and although I have a husband who tells me often how beautiful I am, I still find that I am my own worst critic. As a result, I have no pictures of myself pregnant with my two sons, and very few with them when they were small. These are moments that I will never get back, for while I was there, when they look back at the pictures, they will not see me sharing my joy. I was behind the camera.

Em Ford's message spoke to me in so many ways. Even when life is at its happiest, we need to be confident and to know that we are beautiful. I make a real effort to come out from behind the camera now. How about you?

Watch the video, and let me know what thoughts you have.


YoutubeChannel - #MyPaleSkin
Trending #YouLookDisgusting

No comments:

Post a Comment