Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Real Insect Excavation Kit by Dr. Cool






I'm always happy when I'm asked to review toys or activities for my kids. I know that we live in the age of computers and video games, especially as I type this on my tablet, but I really am hopeful that there are activities out there that will keep my boys occupied for more than ten minutes. As a former educator, I'm even more pleased when the activities are educational AND fun.

The Real Insect Excavator Kit by Dr. Cool was a pleasant surprise, and my boys (and neighbors' kids) were happy to have a new activity. I'm not going to lie, I really, REALLY dislike bugs. I've had to tone down my distaste, not wanting my boys to freak out when they see bugs around. The Insect Excavator Kit was very cool, however.

The excavation "site" is inside a green beetle, where there are three real bug specimens. The bugs are buried inside the digging block, and my young scientists uncovered a scorpion, spiny spider, and fortune beetle specimen. The insects are preserved inside acrylic, so they can be examined thoroughally from all sides. The science kit includes an excavation tool, brush, and magnifying glass. It also comes with an information booklet, so the kids can learn all about insects, arthropods, and arachnids. I like that the guide teaches about the bugs included, but also general info about bugs. There is also an activity booklet with games, mazes, and puzzles. These extra activities kept the kids engaged after their "dig" was complete.

I will definitely be looking for additional projects by Dr. Cool. More information about this kit and others can be found at https://www.discoverwithdrcool.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment