Wednesday, August 27, 2014

What's the Deal with My Cosmetics Obsession?

It's true-I totally own up to the fact that I have an unhealthy obsession with skincare and cosmetics. I always have, and I imagine that I always will. If you read my blog, you've probably noticed that I review cosmetics boxes pretty often. Trust me-what I write about doesn't even scratch the surface. 

So, when did this all start? I remember the Avon Lady bringing those little tiny lipsticks to the house, and I would be allowed to use them for playing dress up. I was little-maybe 5 or 6. Then, in elementary school, I (like all girls in the 70s and 80s) was really into Lip Smackers. My favorite was 7-Up scented. In middle school, I graduated to lip potion. I don't remember who made it, but it came in a rollerball, and it was really shiny. It was around this time that I started sneaking into my sister's bathroom and doing my best to apply her makeup. I remember her having a Ralph Lauren compact that was covered in leather. I thought it was gorgeous.

My parents caught on pretty quickly, and my dad said that if I was going to wear it, he wanted me to wear it right, and to have good quality cosmetics. He took me to Chicago, and we went to Bonwit Teller. He bought me Clinique, which seems a good place for a girl to start. He bought me everything the girls suggested. They were aware that they were working with a 13 year old, so they kept it pretty safe. When we left the store, I had skincare, makeup, and a bottle of Anais Anais perfume.

Honestly, I think I hardly wore it, but every year, I wound buy a full face of whatever line struck my fancy. 

When I was in college, I started working in cosmetics. I opened a Garden Botanika store in the Tucson Mall. I learned how to do makeup, and how to recommend skin care, and I started getting "gratis," which was basically getting it free, so you could tell the customers what you used or were wearing, without having to make it up. When I graduated, I started working for Lancôme while I student taught, and this is when my obsession really started. I got a discount in the entire department, and when it was slow, we would do one another's makeup. I continued to work for prestige brands part time while I taught until I got married. I spent time at Lancôme, Origins, Prescriptives and Sisley.

When I moved in with M right before we got married, I had so much makeup and skincare, that it was actually difficult to move cross country.

I would like to say that I've gotten better, but I haven't. Enter the subscription box. So, now, I can get cosmetics delivered as presents to my door each month? Heck yeah! I started writing a blog, and many companies send me boxes or product to try and to review. I love it! I can also read about a product on another blog, and find it on the internet. We also have swap groups, to trade for what you've been wanting. I've actually made many friends this way.

So, yes, I'm obsessed, and I buy way too much. It could be worse though, I could be buying expensive shoes or jewelry. I can say though, if you're having a bad day, a pretty new lippie can put you in a great mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment