Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Why Blog?

The last couple of months have been pretty life changing for me, not to mention for my family. Basically, our entire life has been turned upside down. I started blogging a little over a year ago. I'm not great about blogging every day, but I always promise myself that I will. So, I've started thinking about my blog itself, and why it's important to me.

Why do I blog?
- To share stories
- To feed my subscription box obsession
- To promote companies and/or products
- To generate income (sort of)
- To build relationships
- To help ease stress

Honestly, I started my blog one day, as I sat at a miserable job, at my miserable desk, on a miserable winter day. Obviously, I didn't last more than a year at that job. I had been a pretty dedicated reader of a few blogs, and I decided that I had something to say. It may not be something super important, but I've always been a story teller of sorts. Rediculous things have happened in my life, and I've been told on many occasion that I should write a book. If I ever were to do so, I think most would assume that it was fiction. So, I decided that I would write all of these crazy things down to share with readers who may need a laugh, or maybe a cry.

I also have an obsession with subscription boxes, and I found that there are others out there like me. In the past several years, the subscription box market has grown tremendously. Pretty much, if you want it- there is a subscription service for it. I'm not kidding. There are tons of categories that I will just never fit into, so I don't blog about those. Gone are the days of being an expectant mother, but it would have been lovely to have a subscription box delivered to me while I WAS an expectant mother. I'm also never going to be a fishing enthusiast (yup, there's a subscription box for that), or someone who is interested in bizarre foods (I'm just NOT an adventurous eater). However, I love skincare and beauty products- that's a huge market for subscription boxes. I love getting things like clothing, socks, undergarments, jewelry, and lifestyle products in the mail. I used to love going to the mall, now I prefer to have things arrive at my doorstep. I have scaled back my subscription boxes because of finances, but there are several companies that send me boxes to review.

I have also started working with new retail companies to review their products, and to help them get their names out there. I work with a skincare company that is absolutely amazing. They hand pick products for me, and my skin looks and feels amazing. Why wouldn't I promote them?! If I were to ever own a business, I would love to have bloggers out there, spreading the word about my line.

Many bloggers are also affiliates for companies. This, basically, is to earn money from blogging. There are bloggers who make a ton of money from ads and links. I would love to say that I'm one of these people, because wow, we need the money, but I stink at this part. The little ads on the sides of blogs help bloggers generate income. You only get paid once you reach $50, and I've had $9.33 stuck for about a year. I'm not great about changing my ads, but I generally hand pick the ads that I run. They're companies and products that I'm interested in, so I assume my readers will be, too. If you're reading this, feel free to click through any of the ads to purchase whatever you might be looking for!

I wanted to make connections and build relationships. Other bloggers have tons of people comment on their posts. I'm not even close to that yet. I'd love to be though. I'd love for readers to reply to let me know their thoughts on what I'm writing about-I really do! So, if you have something to add-please do! If you think I'm full of it-tell me! If you love that eye cream-tell me! I'm sure you get it, but I really want to know.

Mostly, I started writing as a way to help ease stress. Remember that terrible job? By the time the school year ended, I was literally on the edge. I had worked at schools before where I had really connected with students and faculty. So much so, I'm still in touch with many. This particular position was not that at all. I was also pretty ill that year, so if I had been healthy, the year might have looked different. It honestly wasn't meant to be, but believe it or not, writing about a lipstick or a book, really helped me get through that year. 

So, that's why I do this. It's not a waste if time. It's really really important to me personally. Only a couple of my friends read, I think maybe a cousin. Otherwise, many of my readers don't really know me-that I'm aware of. I'm going to give myself the challenge of writing every single day for the next month. I hope you'll read along!

1 comment:

  1. I love your Blog as I told you and not just because I won your giveaway but because you're real and keep it real. You're interesting and ell it like it is. Your reviews are,sweet, short and too the point and i don't have to spend hours reading to learn something from you! Keep up the good work, others should take a cue from you!

    ReplyDelete