Monday, July 14, 2014

Sunday Social-July 13, 2014

Gotta love the Sunday Social written on Monday night/Tuesday morning!

Sunday Social

I always link up with Ashley and Neely for the Sunday Social. Their questions are fun for everyone to answer, and it is a great way to meet other bloggers.

This week's questions...

 

1. Tell us about the family you grew up in, parents, siblings, grandparents. 

My family was pretty traditional, but not. That probably sounds odd. I grew up in Bettendorf, Iowa. My dad was a doctor, and my mom stayed at home with the kids. I never knew my maternal  grandfather, and my paternal grandfather passed when I was a toddler. My grandmothers were both great-very different from one another, so I loved spending time with them both whenever I could.

My dad passed away when I was 16, and it was (and still is many many years later) really hard on our family. He was so smart, kind and funny. My mom was a pretty typical mom when I was growing up, and we've always been really close. My mom moved to Phoenix when I was 16, so I spent as much time there as in Iowa.

I have an older brother and an older sister. We're all really close in age, which was a blessing and a curse. We all went to different boarding schools, which is really unusual for the area that I grew up in. My brother and I went to the same boarding school, and then the same college, so we've always been really close. I was never close with my sister growing up, but she's my best friend now. Isn't it weird how that happens??

2. Tell us about your husband, fiancé, boyfriend, significant other.

My husband is incredible. We grew up in the same town, and he was friends with my brother (one of the nice parts about being close in age-he had really cute friends). I don't really remember meeting M when I was younger than high school-I'm sure at that point, I was the annoying little sister to be kept away from embarrassing my brother! Anyhow, when I was in 9th grade, M's best friend was dating my friend. We sneaked off campus for lunch one day, and since my parents had only given me a lunch ticket (why would I need money in the cafeteria?), I had to borrow lunch money from M. We had our first date on Halloween of 1986, when we went to see Crocadile Dundee! We only dated about a month, but remained friends for years and years. When I was about 26, he came to visit me in Phoenix, and we were married about a year or so later! If you're interested, I'll share the story one day. There was a trip to Switzerland and a Swatch Watch involved!

3. Tell us about your children. If you don’t have children, talk about your fur children.

We have two sons, who are 8 and 5. They were both very hoped for and planned. They are so very different! One is sensitive, the other a wild child. One is tall and thin, and the other is a compact mighty mite! It's so much fun to watch them grow and become their own selves. I'm so lucky to have these two little guys!

4. Tell us about your best friends.

I think I've always had only a few good friends, but I have a lot of people that I am friendly with. I'm lucky to be in touch with so many people I've had as friends over the years.

My best friend is C. She lives in Tucson, and I don't get to see her nearly as often as I would like. We met in college, where we both majored in art education. We both moved to Phoenix to teach after college, and have always remained close. She has a great husband and two beautiful kids. She's so fun, and she's a fantastic mother. I know that she will be there for me in a split second if I need her, despite the mikes between us.

I am pretty lucky to have a few people that I can call good friends as a "grown up." Boarding school and college roommates, sorority sisters and former colleagues. They are all so different, and I think I really appreciate the value of true friendship in each of them.

How do you know you're besties? I hope yours are closer than mine! Arizona, California, New York and Germany are waayyy to far!

5. Tell us about any other special people in your life.

This will probably sound odd, but I'm part of an amazing online group. It started out as a group for subscription box swaps, and grew to add some mom/cosmetics lovers and bloggers like me. They offer great support and advice to one another, and we have lots of laughs all the time. Technology is amazing!

So, that's it for this week. These are huge questions, and difficult to answer without writing a novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment