Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thursday Link-Up: Thursday Thoughts


Today I'm linking up with Jen@Ramblings of a Suburban Mom. I said on Tuesday that I really want to start posting every day, and I get so much inspiration from Jen. She has two sons a little younger than mine, and she has an amazing blog where she posts every day. I can do it!!!

The idea of Thursday Thoughts is to write down things that have been on your mind. Even if your not a blogger, this would be a great journaling exercise.
  • I'm thinking about doing a juice cleanse.  The only problem is, the thought of drinking veggies about makes me sick. I saw a few last night that had apples, pineapples, strawberries with kale and spinach. That might be doable.  The fruit juices I would have no trouble with at all, well, except for the no solid food thing...we'll see. It looks like I'm getting a juicing book in one of my subscription boxes, so hopefully I'll be able to get more info. Have any of you done a 3 day juice cleanse? What did you think?
  • The REAL reason why I'm considering a juice cleanse, is because I'm very seriously thinking about going gluten free. You probably think I'm a crazy fad diet person, but I'm not at all.  Actually, I have a pretty serious thyroid condition. I eat fewer than 1000 calories on the average day, but about 3 years ago, I started gaining weight really quickly. I went to my doctor, and he said it was stress from having a stressful job, and unemployed husband, and two sons under the age of five. That made sense to me, so I cut back on calories and started exercising more, but I gained another 20 pounds. I'm only 5'0" tall, so it was REALLY noticeable, especially for someone who used to shop in the kids department for jeans. It was disturbing. I also was so exhausted that I could barely function, I was forgetting things, and I had unexplained pain. I wasn't even 40 yet. So, my amazing husband found me a new doctor, and they diagnosed me correctly. They put me on a common med, but thanks to a friend from middle school (I know, right? Thank you Facebook!), I found a new natural med and I'm feeling much better. I've lost a ton of weight, the puffiness in my face is gone. Anyhow, I've been reading that a gluten free diet can be helpful. It's scary to think about, because I seriously LOVE bread. I lived in Paris, I mean I love it. It's a give and take though, and I'm not allergic to gluten. My husband, M. insists I ask my doctor first, so I'll wait to start. I thought a juice cleanse first might be a good idea. Any thoughts? Too much?
  • Ok, I do have things going on that aren't diet related:) My oldest son, C. is going to be 8 at the end of the month. This is a little embarrassing, but he's never really had a birthday party. I worked at boarding schools for most of his life, so we kind of had a built in community to celebrate with him. So, he wants to have a party at Chuck E Cheese. I'll call to arrange it-I suppose it's tame compared to the parties that other children have. Our youngest son is at a private school until next fall, and the parties are super extravagant. That's not possible for us at the moment, but he wants Chuck E Cheese and not a party at a museum or something like that, so it should be fun. if you have children, what types of parties have you had?
  • M. is going out of town for work in a few weeks. He's going to Phoenix, where I spent most of my life, so I'm pretty jealous, especially because it's been so cold in Cleveland. I swear though, it's not my boys that are difficult when he's gone, but it's our dogs. I'm tempted to put them in the doggy hotel. One pouts, and the other one destroys our house.
  • My goal for the weekend is to get the house and myself organized. I wish I had someone to come and do it for me, but that's silly. We moved in a little over a year ago, and I feel like we're not really settled. Everything is put away, but it just doesn't flow. Maybe hanging pictures will help, and then I'll tackle the kitchen. Any suggestions?
What's on your mind today? I'm new at linking up, but I'd love to have someone link up with me!!!



4 comments:

  1. I have three boys. I try to post daily although I miss here and there. We've had birthday parties at parks (for my summertime baby) and at home. I don't recommend the home thing. I have actually already reserved the park for my oldest (his birthday is in June.) There is a splash pad so I don't have to think of anything to do. I'm stopping by from Ramblings of a Suburban Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine-thank you for stopping by! I'm always in need of ideas. It's a little harder with my January guy! I'm so amazed at how extravagant kids parties have gotten!

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to try a juice cleanse but they're so darn expensive to buy and I'm too lazy to DIY it. I have friends who are always posting tasty sounding smoothie and juice recipes, though.

    Regarding gluten-free: definitely consult your doctor before doing it..but don't get too sad about the idea of giving up breads and cookies and such because there are some decent gluten-free baked goods out there.

    (Stopping by from the link up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K- thank you for stopping by! I don't know if I can do it, maybe for a day...maybe! I'll check with my doctor on gluten free-I've read that people with thyroid disease do well with low carb, but I want to do it healthy.

      Delete