Saturday, September 28, 2013

September Birchbox Review

Better late than never. I actually received the September Birchbox several weeks ago. Birchbox is a monthly subscription box for $10/month. There are generally harder to find brands, and a mix of sample sizes and deluxe sample sizes of products each month. While I would generally consider Birchbox to be a beauty box, there is also a lifestyle element to the boxes. In the past, there have been teas, chocolates, pens, jewelry trinkets, etc. 
Each Birchbox comes packaged in a plain brown cardboard box. There are Pinterest boards with ideas for how to use your boxes. I found a really cool one that turns them into a little set of drawers, which I may do to organize lipsticks.
September's theme was Heritage. The history of families, company histories, personal rituals, and definitely that of Birchbox on their three year anniversary.
The first item that I opened, I was really excited about, Benefit Cosmetics Sugarbomb Ultra Plush Lip Gloss. The color is a neutrally pink/beige, perfect for every day. I've loved Benefit since the 1990s, and the only place I could find their products was Saks Fifth Avenue in Phoenix.
Say Yes to Blueberries Cleansing Facial Towelettes. These are a great way to take off your makeup in a hurry. They don't leave a residue, but leave your skin refreshed. I recently read an article by a magazine editor who went an entire month without washing her face before bed. Yuck! Even if it's with a cloth, wash your face! I even have my 7 year old son going through the motions. With all the antioxidants and grime that a 7 year old comes into contact with, it can't do any harm to have him pay a little attention to his face!
Beauty extra-Say Yes to Grapefruit CC Cream. There are two sample colors here (I'll likely need the lightest of the two). My skin can be dry, so I'll be happy to find a non-department store version for emergencies. I hope to never go without my Dr. Jart, but options are always good! I know the Say Yes! brand is very popular.
Ruffian Nail Lacquer in Fox Hunt. I've never heard of this brand before, but the container is cute, and the color great for fall. I'll be glad to do a pedicure in this great orangey color. The size is also perfect.
Finally, there was a packet of Mereadesso All-in-One Moisturizer. While this is only a packet, it's a pretty generous size. It also closes (genius), so it won't dry out in between uses. It's said that it acts as your anti aging day/night cream, serum, eye cream, toner and primer. I kind of like using my arsenal of products, but this would be a great product for travel. I'll definitely give it a try to see how it reacts with my skin before purchasing, which is one of the genius behind  subscription boxes-to try new things!

As I've said before, I've enjoyed Birchbox immensely. Great products with a nice variety. You also get 10 points per product that you review, and 100 points can be traded in for items in their boutique. They have great and unusual items, not just beauty products.

If you're not already a subscriber to Birchbox, I highly recommend it as an inexpensive gift to yourself or for someone you care about as the holidays approach.

*Disclaimer-I subscribe to this service myself, and I was in no way compensated for my review.





No comments:

Post a Comment